BlackBerry has officially announced it’s android smartphone – DTEK50. At various points the phone was referred as Neon, or DTEK50 – in the end, BlackBerry chose DTEK50 to be the phone’s official name. Earlier today, official images of the phone were surfaced before the launch. The phones runs on BlackBerry’s interpretation of Android. BlackBerry claims DTEK50 as the world’s most secure Android smartphone.
According to BlackBerry, “Security has always been in our blood, and privacy has always been a priority. That’s why DTEK50, the newest touchscreen-based addition to our secure Android line, puts how you share the details of your private life – pictures, locations, texts, and more – entirely under your control.” BlackBerry DTEK50 automatically monitors your OS and apps and lets you know when your privacy could be at risk – as well as when and how to improve it.
DTEK50 encrypts all users’ information, including business critical data and personal data such as pictures, videos and contacts. Malware protection is also built-in along with back-up, wipe and restore capabilities. Password Keeper to securely store all your passwords, log in information and important records. DTEK tracks your apps and notifies you when someone is taking pictures or videos without your knowledge, or accessing your contacts or location. The same goes for when your microphone is turned on and when an SMS is sent.
BlackBerry DTEK50 technical details
- Display: 5.2 inch IPS LCD (1920 x 1080 pixels`) scratch resistant display
- Dimension: 147 mm x 72.5 mm x 7.4 mm
- Weight: 135 gram
- Processor: Qualcomm 8952 with 64 bit Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 and Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53 (Snapdragon 617 Octa-Core, 64 bit), Adreno 405, 550MHz GPU
- Memory: 3GB RAM, 16GB internal storage, expandable microSD memory card support (Up to 2TB)
- Operating System: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Rear Camera: 13-megapixel auto-focus camera with image stabilization, 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps
- Front Camera: 8MP Fixed-Focus camera with Image & video stabilization, 1080p HD video recording
- SIM: nano SIM
- Network: FD-LTE, HSPA+, Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE,
- Connectivity: GPS, NFC, Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy, 4G Mobile Hotspot, Wi-Fi Direct
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Ambient Light, Hall Effect
- Battery: 2610 mAh 4.4V non-removable Lithium Ion battery
It comes with the BlackBerry Hub pre-installed, as well as the BlackBerry keyboard. DTEK50 also features BlackBerry’s own BlackBerry Convenience Key, pop-up widgets, BlackBerry Device Search, Instant Actions, and Gesture Controls.
Availability and pricing
Starting today, DTEK50 is available to pre-order from BlackBerry’s own website in the US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands for $299 USD ($429 CDN, €339, and £275). As a limited time offer, customers who pre-order DTEK50 will receive a complimentary BlackBerry Mobile Power Pack, a high-capacity portable charger worth $59.99 USD ($69.99 CDN, €59.99, and £54.99). This offer expires on August 8th. BlackBerry DTEK50 will become available during the week of August 8. Availability of DTEK50 in other countries will be announced in the coming weeks.