BlackBerry has announced it’s latest Android smartphone – the DTEK60 with better specs and features than the DTEK50 smartphone which was released earlier this year. The BlackBerry DTEK60 smartphone is company’s most powerful and secure phone yet. The announcement came out with no surprise as the full specs of the phone were already surfaced on company’s own website following the pre-release pre-order campaign of the handset in Canada.
Much like the DTEK50, the DTEK60 sports a reference design from TCL and has a very similar appearance to Alcatel’s Idol 4S. Apart from that the DTEK60 features a metal-framed body with a dual-glass finish – one on the back and one on the front which makes it more appealing than the DTEK50.
The BlackBerry DTEK60 features a 5.5-inch QHD display and is powered by a Snapdragon 820 SoC coupled with 4GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage. It has a 21-megapixel rear camera and an 8-megapixel front facing camera. The DTEK60 comes with a fingerprint sensor, USB Type-C port and a customizable button on the side. The device packs inside a 3,000mAh battery with QuickCharge 3.0. The phone runs on an extra secure Android 6.0 Marshmallow and BlackBerry says it is working with Google on an upgrade path for Nougat.
BlackBerry DTEK60 specifications
- Dimension: 6.06 inch x 2.97 inch x 0.28 (153.9 x 75.4 x 7 mm)
- Weight: 165 gram (5.82 oz)
- Display: 5.5-inch Quad HD display with 2560 x 1440 resolution and 534ppi
- Operating System: Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 64-bit Quad-Core (MSM8996 with 64 bit Quad-Core 2+2 Kryo 2.15GHz / 1.6GHz) with Adreno 530, 624MHz GPU
- Memory: 4GB RAM, 32GB internal storage, Expandable memory via microSD memory card up to 2TB
- Ports: USB Type-C, USB 2.0 fully supported with standard USB Type C to USB Type A cable (included in box), USB OTG
- Battery: 3000 mAh 4.4V non-removable Lithium Ion battery with Quick Charge 3.0
- Rear Camera: 21 megapixel auto-focus camera with Dual Tone LED Flash, 6-element f2.0 lens, 4K video recording
- Front Camera: 8MP Fixed-Focus with f2.2 lens and 84˚ wide angle/field of view lens, Image & video stabilisation, 1080p HD video recording, Selfie Flash, Wide Selfie Mode (also known as Selfie Panorama)
- Connectivity: LTE Advance, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz, 4G Mobile Hotspot, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth 4.2, GLONASS, BeiDou
- Sensors: Fingerprint sensor, Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Ambient light, Hall Effect
BlackBerry is not emphasizing the hardware, but the software as the company is pitching the device as more secure than other Android phones, thanks to its secure bootloader, Hardware Root of Trust, DTEK app, and quick updates for security patches. In the press release company says,
BlackBerry Limited, a global software leader in securing, connecting and mobilizing enterprises, today announced the latest in its series of most secure Android smartphones, DTEK60.
The BlackBerry DTEK60 also includes company’s productivity apps, such as the BlackBerry Hub app suit, Calendar, and keyboard. According to BlackBerry,
The phone provides enterprises and organizations with full access to the Android ecosystem and higher-end specs to help power productivity. It comes equipped with all the security features that BlackBerry’s Android OS devices have, including best-in-class security patching and the DTEK by BlackBerry app that allows users to monitor and control their privacy on their phone.
Price and Availability
The BlackBerry DTEK60 is now available unlocked direct from BlackBerry’s website starting today for $499 USD ($650 CAD). But the company’s primary target market remains business it’s primarily going to be sold to businesses and governments that will deploy it to their employees. But if you want one, then you can buy it on company’s website. The phone is currently available in the U.S., Canada, U.K., France, Germany, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands. It will be available in other countries in coming weeks.Buy on Amazon Buy International Version on Amazon
BlackBerry is also giving some launch offers with the DTEK60 smartphone. According to BlackBerry,
Customers who order DTEK60 fromwill receive a complimentary accessory bundle. US and Canada customers will receive a DTEK60 Soft Shell and Rapid Charger for free and customers in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands will receive a DTEK60 Pocket Case and Rapid Charger for free. This offer expires on November 8th at 11:59 pm PST.