In day to day activity, most of the people use mobile internet but did you noticed ever that when you turn on the mobile data, there is something appears on your mobile as G/ E/ H/ H+/ 3G/ 4G.
We are going to let you know the meaning of these symbols.
Symbol ‘G’ :
- G stands for ‘General Packet Radio Service‘,which is also known as GPRS in short and considered to be the second generation (2G) mobile technology.
- Maximum Download Speed = 53.6 kb/s.
- Maximum Upload Speed = 28 kb/s.
- This is very slow in comparison to other technologies, you can use this network for chat applications and some other application which didn’t take too much bandwidth.
Symbol ‘E’ :
- E stands for ‘Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution’, which is also known as EDGE in short and this technology lies between 2G & 3G and considered as pre-3G radio technology.
- Maximum Download speed = 217.6 kb/s.
- Maximum Upload speed = 108 kb/s.
- It is slow but faster than GPRS and suitable for browsing. Not recommended for video/audio streaming.
Symbol ‘H’ :
- H stand for ‘High Speed Packet Access’,which is also known as HSPA considered to be the 3.5 generation mobile technology(Enhanced 3G).
- Maximum Download speed = 7.2 MB/s.
- Maximum Upload speed = 3.6 MB/s.
- Using this type of network, you can stream videos/audios without any interruption.
Note: HSPA is further divided into HSDPA(download) and HSUPA(upload) to denote download and upload speeds.
Symbol ‘H+’ :
- H stand for ‘Evolved High Speed Packet Access’,which is also known as HSPA+. There are five releases of this technology, each of which provides significantly greater download speeds than the previous version.
- Maximum Download speed = 14~168 MB/s.
- Maximum Upload speed = 5.7~ 23 MB/s.
- You can see the speed with HSPA and HPSA+,using this network you can buffer videos like live cricket matches etc.
Symbol ‘3G’ :
- 3G stands for ‘Universal Mobile Telecomm. System’, which is also known as UMTS and it is the short form of Third Generation(3G) introduced in 1998.
- Maximum download speed = 384 kb/s.
- Maximum upload speed = 128 kb/s.
- It is faster than EDGE and provides mobile broadband access of several MB/s to smartphone and mobile modems in Laptop Computers. This network also allows people to access music , pictures and videos.
Symbol ‘4G’ :
- 4G stands for ‘Fourth Generation’, which is also known as LTE (Long Term Evolution).
- Maximum download speed =100~1000 MB/s.
- Maximum upload speed =50~ 500 MB/s.
- You can download files from the Internet up to 10 times faster than with 3G and buffer anything very smoothly.
Have a look on mobile capabilities in India:
|2G Capabilities||GSM 900, GSM 1800|
|3G Capabilities||UMTS 2100|
|4G Capabilities||LTE 850 (5), LTE 1800 (3), LTE 2300 (40)|