LG has announced it’s latest flagship smartphone – G6 – at an event in MWC 2017. LG G6 is a super feature rich flagship that comes with ‘Full-vision’ display, water and dust protection, careful impact resistant design, dual camera setup, tried and Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box. There is a custom LG skin on top called Full-screen UX to make the best use of the 18:9 aspect. LG G6 will be the first new device that comes with Google’s personal voice assistant ‘Google Assistant’ other than the Pixel phones. The LG G6 follows the company’s ‘Less Artificial, More Intelligence’ theme.
The LG G6 features a 5.7-inch (1440 × 2880 pixels for a pixel density of 565ppi) QHD+ IPS LCD FullVision display with a 18:9 aspect ratio which is longer and narrower than the current industry standard of 16:9. The frame is made of aluminum and the back is made of Gorilla Glass 5, while it carries Gorilla Glass 3 on top of the display. It packs a fingerprint scanner at the back. The LG G6 is the first phone to come with Dolby Vision video support, and the Dolby confirmed that there are about 90 movies with Dolby Vision already available. It also support HDR10 tech. Both the technologies are standards for High Dynamic Range (HDR), the picture quality technology which allows for a wider range of color and luminosity.
The phone is powered by a Quad-Core Sanpdragon 821 SoC coupled with 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM. It comes in two storage options – 32GB and 64GB and will support expandable storage via microSD card (up to 2TB). LG G6 is water and dust resistant and carries an IP68 rating that makes it safe to be immersed in up to 1.5 meters of water for as long as 30 minutes. The phone packs a non-removable 3,300mAh battery QuickCharge 3.0 technology. It comes with 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC (digital to analogue converter) for enhanced audio playback.
On the camera specifications, LG G6 has 13-megapixel dual rear cameras – one for wide-angle shots with 125-degree lens and f/2.4 aperture, and the other for regular shots with 71-degree lens – with dual-tone LED flash, OIS 2.0, manual mode and a 5-megapixel front camera with 100-degree wide angle lens. The phone will come in three color options – Astro Black, Mystic White and Ice Platinum.
LG G6 specifications
- Display: 5.7-inch (1440 × 2880 pixels) QHD+ LCD display with a 18:9 aspect ratio, 564 PPI, Gorilla Glass 3
- Processor: Quad-core Snapdragon 821 processor with Adreno 530 GPU
- Memory: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, 32GB / 64GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Operating System: Android 7.0 Nougat with LG UX 6.0
- Rear Camera: 13MP dual cameras with dual-tone LED Flash, OIS 2.0, 4K video recording,
- Front Camera: 5MP camera with 100-degree wide-angle lens
- Fingerprint sensor: Yes
- Durability: IP68 rating Water and dust resistant
- Other Features: Google Assistant, 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC, Dolby Vision
- Dimensions: 148.9 x 71.9 x 7.9mm
- Weight: 163g
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2 LE, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- Battery: 3,300mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
- Colors: Astro Black, Mystic White and Ice Platinum
Price and Availability
No details about pricing or availability yet. LG chose not to detail the LG G6 price and availability at the event and will announce later. We’ll update you as soon as we know more.