Meizu has announced it’s latest budget smartphone – Meizu M5 with a faster fingerprint reader. It has a mTouch 2.1 fingerprint sensor embedded into the home button below the screen that can unlock the phone in 0.2 seconds. Apart from this Meizu M5 offers VoLTE support, hybrid dual-SIM slot (Nano+Nano) and comes in two storage variants – 2GB RAM with 16GB storage version and 3GB RAM with 32GB storage variant (both versions have a microSD slot for storage expansion up to 128GB).
The Meizu M5 features a 5.2-inch HD (720×1280 pixels) 2.5D curved glass display and is powered by a 1.5 GHz octa-core 64-bit MediaTek MT6750 processor coupled with LPDDR3 RAM. The smartphone sports a 13-megapixel rear camera with dual-tone LED flash and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera. It runs on The Meizu M5 runs on Yun OS 5.1 with Flyme OS 5.5 skin on top. It packs inside a 3,070mAh battery. The phone sports a a polycarbonate body and comes in five color options – Mint Green, Glacier White, Champagne Gold, Sapphire Blue, and Matte Black. The matte option is designed to be scratch and fingerprint resistant. The Mint Green option has a special UV coating to keep the color from fading due to sun bleaching.
Meizu M5 specifications
- Display: 5.5-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) HD 2.5D curved glass display, pixel density of 282ppi
- Processor: Octa-Core MediaTek MT6750 (4 x 1.5GHz Cortex-A53 + 4 x 1.0GHz Cortex-A53) processor with Mali T860 GPU
- Memory: 2GB RAM with 16GB storage / 3GB RAM with 32GB storage, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Operating System: Yun OS 5.1 with FlyMe 5.5
- Rear Camera: 13MP camera with dual-tone LED Flash, PDAF, f/2.2 aperture, 5P lens
- Front Camera: 5MP camera, f/2.0 aperture, 4P lens
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (nano+nano/microSD)
- Dimensions: 147.28 × 72.8 × 8.15mm
- Weight: 138g
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4GHz/5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS / GLONASS
- Sensors: Fingerprint Sensor, Infrared, Accelerometer, Ambient light sensor, Proximity sensor, Gyroscope, Magnetometer
- Battery: 3070mAh battery
- Colors: Mint Green, Glacier White, Champagne Gold, Sapphire Blue, and Matte Black.
Price and Availability
The Meizu M5 is priced at CNY 699 (approx. US$ 103 / Rs. 6,900) for the 2GB RAM with 16GB storage version and CNY 899 (approx. US$ 132 / 8,900) for the 3GB RAM with 32GB storage variant. The phone is available in China starting today. There is no words on global pricing and availability from the company yet.